Sunday, November 16, 2014

Cairns to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to London

Getting ready this morning went so quickly. The cats were determined to get me out of bed at my normal time of 5.30am, as they were apparently starving. I guess that feed 12 hours ago was long gone from their memories. There were lots of last minute things I needed to get done as Andrew was also going to be away, spending the next week working on Thursday Island.

Before we’d even left for the airport, I got a bit teary.  I knew it was going to happen.  Tassie (our older cat) had hidden under the bed early in the morning so I think she knew I was leaving.  I didn’t get a chance to give her a big cuddle before I left.  This made me a little bit more teary.  I’m a sook when it comes to my furkids; they’ve come with us everywhere we’ve moved to, whatever the cost. Smudge (the young, small devil cat) was all over my bag, climbing and putting her claws in, so she got a big smooch goodbye hug and kiss from her mum.
It was time to go.  Andrew and I hopped in the car and off we went to the International Airport.  I wished we didn’t live so close, it only takes 7 minutes or so to get there so I was full of excitement and nerves and felt the time went so quickly.

Andrew pulled up to the drop off area at the airport and we got out of the car.  As soon as he had my suitcase out of the back of the car, I was in tears. As much as I love my independent nature and will to travel, I love him too and was sad to know it would be a little while until we saw each other again. It was cute; I stood up on the gutter and we were nearly the same height so I gave him a big hug and kiss goodbye and wiped my runny nose on his t-shirt. I’m not sure whether he noticed but I hope by now he’s washed it!

Check in was relatively simple and because I was travelling the whole way with Cathay Pacific, my luggage was checked all the way through to Heathrow.  I wouldn’t see it again until I was on the other side of the world.

I had Reef Lounge access here at the International terminal. I wouldn’t say it was worth it, and I’m glad I hadn’t paid for it.  The lounge is an ex-Qantas one and is quite dated.  The selection of food on offer was a few old looking sandwiches and some questionable deli meats and cheese.  The bar however, was well stocked and I decided that time was about to become very blurred and that a few pre-flight drinks were not to be scoffed at.

Departures board at Cairns International Airport
Time passed quickly and it was time to board.  For those plane nerds like myself, CX146 leaving at 1300 was an Airbus A330-300. I was lucky enough to have been able to select the exit row seats and was seated next to a Cantonese man from Brisbane (where the flight originated from).  He was generous enough to have felt the need to marinate himself in durian before the flight and going by his breath, he’d also indulged in a dog poo sandwich not too long ago. 7 and a half hours of sitting next to him sleeping with his head lulling towards me and his mouth wide open gave me plenty of time to work this all out.

CX147 from Cairns to Hong Kong. Airbus A330-300

Anyway, enough about Mr Poo Breath. The flight was fairly uneventful beyond the two little toddlers on the other side of the aisle to me, who physically screamed the whole way to Hong Kong. Thank goodness for headphones and a strategically downloaded playlist and a good book.
Hong Kong is one of the most scenic airports to fly into, in my opinion.  If you catch Honkers on a good day (smog free) you get the most amazing views.  The smog wasn’t too bad this time around and I caught the odd glimpse of a place I’ve had a great holiday in before.

We arrived right on time at 1805 and after going through the transit lanes, I was inside HKIA. It’s truly a spectacular airport.  Even if I didn’t have Qantas Club and Cathay Lounge access, I would’ve had a multitude of things I could’ve done to kill my 7 and a half hour stop over.  The food court area is incredible in size and offers some of the most incredible cuisine, I’ve ever seen. Anywhere.  After working out where the new Qantas Club lounge was (last time it was a temporary one, albeit still awesome).  The new lounge is phenomenal and rivals LAX for quality.  The food on offer is Neil Perry inspired and they also had a full size Teppanyaki bar and during the day they are said to also offer Dim Sum (Yum Cha for those in Australia) trolleys that go around offering hot tasty dumpling goodness.

I found a good spot at one of the long tables and grabbed myself a big bowl of Creamy Zucchini and Parmesan soup.  I’m such a sucker for soup.  Truly, it is my favourite food. This particular soup was divine.  Steaming hot, and full of fresh beautiful flavour.  After the third bowl and a couple of Baileys on ice, I was feeling like I was carrying a food baby and decided to go and rest on one of the lounge leather lounges and read the paper.  I should’ve known; the minute I have a fully belly of hot soup, I am ready to snooze.  I read the UK newspaper (getting up to speed with what’s doing in the Old Blighty) and looked around and noticed all the other people in this particular area of the lounge were all spread out and laying on the lounges, so who was I to be the odd one out.  I lay down and an hour later I woke up to one of the Qantas Club staff members putting a blanket on me! Oops! I was a bit sheepish then and figured I should get up.  The other thing was, the lounge was closing at 2300 but I had until 0140 until my flight left.  I figured I’d hang in the Qantas Club until 2300 and then mosey on over to one of the many Cathay lounges and see what they had on offer. I picked the lounge that happened to be right across from my departure gate, so I could stay there as long as possible. 

I ended up in the Cabin Lounge.  Wow.  Nice one, Cathay.  This lounge was uber cool and had some amazing Asian inspired dishes on offer. I wandered about with my plate of garlic broccoli, vegetarian noodles and some chicken and black bean and settled on a little privacy pod right in front of the TV showing BBC World News, as my spot to kill the last few hours before it was time to go.
In my little privacy pod, in the Cathay Lounge at Hong Kong airport
My normal routine of late before a long haul flight is to spend the last hour walking around the airport and getting the blood pumping; and that was to be no exception here in Hong Kong.  I am always really conscious of DVT after I got horrible swelling in my hands, legs and feet after a (relatively) short 7 hour flight from Osaka to Cairns once. It was painful enough to warrant me never long hauling without flight socks and doing a big walk prior to sitting down for hours on end, now. I’m lucky enough that it’s not happened since, but I have heard some horror stories about travellers dropping dead in arrivals halls after getting DVT on a flight! No thanks!

0140 rolled around and it was finally time to get on-board.  Thankfully I’m lucky enough to have a nice Oneworld status which means I don’t have to line up with everyone else and only those in First class get to board before me, so I can get on, and get that elusive overhead locker storage spot that seems hard to be sure of having, nowadays. Once again I had an exit row seat but this time around we were on a Boeing 777-300ER.  My first one! And what made it more exciting was that it was only a few months ago I stood and watched this very same model of aircraft being pieced together inside the Boeing factory at Everett, near Seattle in the USA. 

For those plane nerds following along, a Boeing 777-200LR in 2005 set a world record for a non-stop commercial jetliner by flying between the same points as me, Hong Kong to Heathrow.  However, this record was set by travelling eastbound.  Yes. The absolute long, long way round! The flight lasted nearly 23 hours.  Very impressive when you consider this is a twin-engine jet, not an A380 four-engine plane.  Anyway, for those not into planes, I’m sorry if you just fell asleep for a second there but I was excited to tick the ‘Triple Seven’ off my plane bucket list.

I had two guys sitting beside me and before the plane took off, I’d drifted off to sleep! Totally unlike me, but goes to show how tired I must have been. I woke up as the plane powered up, and then once we were in the air, I went straight back to sleep.  I woke up about an hour later and my seat-mate decided he wanted to chat.  He was a guy, not much younger than me who I wrongly assumed was American, after I heard him order a glass of red wine.  Once we got chatting he told me he was actually from Oslo, in Norway. I can honestly say, I’d never met anyone from Norway before, which was very cool.  He attributed his American sounding accent to the influence of American TV shows on their English language exposure. He was a really good guy to chat to, and he told me plenty of cool stories from his travels abroad and wanted to know lots about the places I’d been.  He couldn’t believe I wasn't eating the meal (I have decided to stop eating airline food unless I’m absolutely starving, mostly because its pig slop). Because of my lounge access when I fly, I tend to eat in the lounge where it’s a comfortable eating environment (not squished up in a plane) and where I can choose a variety of nicer foods.  We chatted for about an hour and then I needed more sleep and put my hoody over my head, my earplugs in and off I went.  I think all up on the 13 hour flight I managed to get somewhere between 3 and 4 hours, which by my standards is not bad.  I got 6 once, on the flight from LAX to Brisbane – I felt amazing afterwards, although there may have been medication involved in that one J

The rest of the flight was uneventful and we made the landing at Heathrow.  Hooray! I was so incredibly excited! I have for years put off this trip for a number of reasons, ranging from the sheer cost, the time off required and also because I was physically too big to fly such a long distance without fear of my health being at risk. Not anymore… I was in the UK!

I dread the whole customs and immigration crud and after 28 hours of travelling I was prepared for an LAX-style line up however, I was pleasantly surprised.  I was through Border Control, Customs and had my bags 20 minutes after the plane landed.  Nowhere on the planet (so far) has offered me that quick an entry! It puts Cairns International to shame, where you wait 45 minutes alone for your bags to come off the plane! 

I’d used Qantas to book a transfer arrival pick up and there was the man waiting for me with my name on a sign (I felt famous!).  He was about 90 in the shade but seemed quite sweet, not letting me drag my own bag. I’d booked a ‘shared arrival’ transfer which generally means a van with about 5 other people and you all go around being dropped off to your accommodation, but not this time.  It was just me.  We got to the car and it was a brand spanking new Mercedes.  Hello!  Talk about a nice way to be welcomed into the UK. 

My accommodation was in the Kensington/Bayswater area and it’s not really that far from Heathrow.  I spent the whole time alternating between lovingly gazing out the window at what was probably a boring scene, and chatting to the driver, pinching myself that I was actually in the UK! As we drove through London, I was completely mesmerised.  It was exactly as I imagined and had seen on TV.  Thanks, UKTV and all those other channels on TV that bombard us with British television.

I arrived at my hotel and got checked in after minor issue where my fried and tired brain could not for the life of me remember my PIN to my card (granted, it’s not my every day one, it’s my travel one loaded with currency for the country/countries I’m visiting).  Crisis averted and PIN recovered, I got to my room which by London standards wasn’t too bad.  Expensive but suitable.

I decided I wasn’t really that tired, so grabbed my bag and went for a walk to get something to eat and drink and had a look around the Bayswater area before finding a supermarket and grabbing a few things.  I headed back to the room where I ate my goodies and had a much anticipated shower. I cannot handle more than 24 hours without a shower at home, and travelling is no different.  I could make a fortune if I could work out how to refine the oil from my scalp/hair and sell it to the highest bidder.  Although I think the Saudis might off me, as after a day it’s pretty full on! J  After a shower I felt completely wide awake and decided a walk was definitely in order and headed out to nearby Kensington Gardens (basically across the road from my hotel) and Kensington Palace.  I spent ages at the Duck Pond enjoying watching the model boats being raced and all the little kids feeding and squealing with joy at the swans, geese and other water birds whose opinions of said kids was relative to the amount of bread they had in their hands.

Me, outside Kensington Palace
By now I was starting to feel a bit tired and headed back to the hotel for what I told myself would be a 2 hour sleep at the maximum.  Well, nearly 6 hours later I woke up in the dark thinking it was late at night, however it was only 6pm.  Ahh, yes, just like in Tasmania… the sun sets nice and early making me freak out and think I’ve missed dinner. I really struggled to wake up, and my body kept telling me to stay in bed and doze.  I realised it was not a great idea and got up and went for a walk and grabbed a bite to eat for dinner before coming back and relaxing in front of the TV before going to sleep.  I did wake up that first night during the night, which was expected but at about 3am I took a sleeping tablet and drifted off into a nice deep sleep until 6.30am just before the sun (well the grey light) peeked at me through the window. 

No comments:

Post a Comment